Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Growing orchids - clear pots ?

On 04/01/2011 14:15, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI All

We have a number of orchids that my wife works very hard to pamper g

Some of the look as if they could/should be potted on into larger pots -
but they are currently in the semi-transparent pots that they came in.

Is it important that they be repotted into transparent pots, or will
the common-or-garden brown or black plastic variety suit ?
Transparent pots in larger sizes seem hard to get hold of out here in
the wilds of south-west Ireland ...

You should be able to buy them online. But some orchids do have green
photosynthetic roots and will sulk if put into dark pots. They are by
nature epiphytes and would grow clinging to a tree branch in the light.

They are usually supplied in the right sort of pots from nurseries. Also
don't overpot them or you will get no flowers next year.

Regards,
Martin Brown