Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Edington Joan Edington is offline

Default Growing orchids - clear pots ?

I have had a small orchid that I bought years ago in a supermarket,
expecting it to die after Christmas since I'm not the greatest with house
plants. It has a single stem twice a year with flowers that last for months.
It is still in the same pot that I bought it in , mainly because I would
have to cut it off the root system which has grown strongly out the bottom.
I think I must agree about watering the roots because that is all mine gets
now that the pot and its overflowing roots now stand in a decorative bowl
filled with small stones to cover the roots! Well, we can't all be experts.

"Derek" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:49:25 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
Spider, advice please on Phalaenopsis, I have bought the repotting
medium. Should I leave it until Spring? I have the plant in the
kitchen, maybe I should move it somewhere cooler?

Been told, repot in the summer, keep out of draughts, water only when
roots turn gray, water by pouring water through the roots, never let
the plant stand in water.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info