Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nigel Slater's garden

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

But, annoyingly, he keeps talking about supper, who has supper these days?

Or, alternatively, who has dinner every night these days? :-)

Is he confused with Dinner or just trying to be trendy (syn, stupid) in
calling Dinner Supper.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Supper is how it used to go, but then I come from
an age when you did indeed have a light forth meal each day late in the
evening and that was supper. Usually cheese, cold meats, pickles and bread.
But then a lot of people worked physically very hard.

Er, you do know that this is a Class Thing, don't you? The terms used
for evening meals were (and, to some extent, still are) very different
in the different classes - as were the times and styles of said meals.

Personally, I opted out of that whole damn exclusion ritual nearly 50
years ago, and have never regretted it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.