Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Herb Gardening

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 16:41:24 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 14:36:51 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"FarmI" wrote:
coykiesaol-gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:

Herbs are a wonderful class of plants that has made life better for
mankind from the very beginning of history. To this day they are still
serving as always. I discovered the joys of herb gardening a while
back
and I love to tell others about how they can also gain the same
satisfaction that I have. So go out and plant some rosemary or basil
today.

Why those two fairly pedestrian herbs?

Most culinary herbs are fairly pedestrian.

Most are indeed, but not anglica, or lovage or tarragon.

I'm just wondering why rosmary and basil given that they are so common and
any gardener with an interest in veg growing would grow them.

If the OP has found the 'joys of herb growing' then I'm curious as to why
they name two common herbs. I wouldn't include in any joy category.
Useful
yes, but joy, no. Anglica is joyful and especially once it's glaced.

Mullein, red clover and St. John's Wort (which I hope comes back) are
3 herbs that I find joyful. I've never grown angelica but it looks
pretty and useful. Maybe I'll try it this year.

St John's Wort is considered a noxious weed where I live and we're compelled
by Council By Laws to remove it/poison it. I too love Mullein though but my
husband hates it and will pull it out if I don't keep a close on him. I
threaten him with murder if he so much as looks at it sideways.

What do you do with the red clover?

SJW a noxious weed - amazing. I rarely use it but love the color a
tincture or olive oil will become when soaking the flowers - a very
deep red.

Red clover - a tincture of the blossoms keeps me from having hot
flashes and night sweats. I'm able to pick enough in the spring and
early summer to last through the year. I am very dedicated to doing
that.