Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Managed to dig today.

Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for weeks to
have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the parsnip, carrot
and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have a barrow more than
half full of them.
The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I don't
think they will save very well, which is a pity because this is the first
time with no fly.
The swede are pretty rubbish. They are not globe shaped, just look like an
overgrown cigar. I peeled one and was left with enough to feed a hamster. I
think the whitefly last summer is the cause.
Parsnip are really good size and condition generally but some have gone
black.
Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as the
brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we call
gardening.
Baz