Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Managed to dig today.

Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for weeks to
have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the parsnip, carrot
and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have a barrow more than
half full of them.
The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I don't
think they will save very well, which is a pity because this is the first
time with no fly.
The swede are pretty rubbish. They are not globe shaped, just look like an
overgrown cigar. I peeled one and was left with enough to feed a hamster. I
think the whitefly last summer is the cause.
Parsnip are really good size and condition generally but some have gone
black.
Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as the
brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we call
gardening.
Baz
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2011 13:15, Baz wrote:
[...]

Well done! I would have liked a day in the garden, but we are expecting
visitors tomorrow and need a huge clean up. Just stuck my nose round
the urg door to see what's going on.

Despite the dreadful weather you've done really well with your veg.
Pity it's not all in storeable condition. Looks like you've got a few
hours cooking and freezing ahead of you if you don't want to waste it.
Even if that hamster is hypothetical (I imagine it was), it won't manage
half a barrow-load! Enjoy your harvest!

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in
:

On 08/01/2011 13:15, Baz wrote:
[...]

You know something Spider,
I hate frozen veg.
My family and neighbours will be getting most of the stuff. One of my aunts
used to belong the WI and she will make sure nothing is wasted bless her.
You mentioned you would have liked a day in the garden, well you should
have seen the state ot me when I had finished messing around. Mud, mud and
more mud. I wiped my feet,washed my hands and face(how do I get mud on my
face) but still managed to get the stuff on the kitchen floor, worktops and
fridge door. Don't know how I did it but I did.
Such is life, but it got me off my bottom after what seems like years of
winter watching telly and playing board(bored) games, cards etc. I would
not mind but I am not very good anyway.:-(
I even finished my first novel recently. I'm going to read another one
soon.

Take care
Baz
Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:15:12 GMT, Baz wrote:

[...]

Yep. Tiz that time of year. Though this year, I won't be growing any
veg - just fruit (apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries and
tomatoes). The veg patch is destined for a building project. A friend
who was made redundant a couple of years ago (then 62) got an
allotment last year and I'm going to get all the veg I need from him,
probably in return for assistance with digging and wotnot.

I spent today outside looking (and digging a bit) at the beds and
borders and trying to work out what has gone beyond help. It's a
problem as on the one hand things might recover but, on the other, if
they don't it'll be too late when I find out to get something small to
grow on so I end up paying more for stuff at the garden centre. I do
know that my greenhouse is now full of mouldy mush so I'm not
bothering to try to rescue anything there.

I'm taking the opportunity to start afresh, replan and replant. My
only real hope is that my collections of penstemmons and hardy
fuschias will recover. The former look promising but the latter are
worrying me, again cos it's difficult to tell. I had (and may still
have) fuschias that grow about 6-7 feet tall and about 5 feet wide
from a "cut to ground" start in the season. That's a lot of space (and
height) to fill if they've snuffed it.

The only other thing to report is a couple of amorous frogs in the
pond - a bit early for it I thought but clearly the one underneath was
being pushed around by the one on top and enjoying the experience.
Lots of late frog spawn last year put paid to a clearout of the pond
which I've really got to do now so come what may there'll be a
reduction in water level and temporary removal of all the planting in
the next few weeks.

Jake
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Bet you start again and somehow make room.

I spent today outside looking (and digging a bit) at the beds and
borders and trying to work out what has gone beyond help. It's a
problem as on the one hand things might recover but, on the other, if
they don't it'll be too late when I find out to get something small to
grow on so I end up paying more for stuff at the garden centre. I do
know that my greenhouse is now full of mouldy mush so I'm not
bothering to try to rescue anything there.

You had a bit of dry weather too then. Nice isn't it.

[...]

So in oter words they were having a jump.

Jake

Cheers
Baz

Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Went out this morning as it is the only dry and frost free day for weeks to

I walked over to the allotment for the first time for, umm, over a month
today. I will try and get out there for an hour or two tomorrow if the
weather is the same tomorrow.

have a bit of a dig around some root veg. The tops of the parsnip, carrot
and swede all went rotten but to my amazement I have a barrow more than
half full of them.

We still have half a plot of potatoes ocha to search for!

The carrots Autumn King are impressive in size though cracked so I don't
think they will save very well, which is a pity because this is the first
time with no fly.

How did you manage to keep the fly off? I am going to try and make an
effort to grow things that we will be more likely to use this year, I'm sick
of growing things that go to waste! So more carrots (never had a good
enough crop to make use of them - so need to grow /more/ so that when half
of them fail it doesn't matter!) and more broccoli, and more effort into the
cauliflower, as they never do well, but I really like romanesco caulis!

Quite pleased overall as I thought I had lost the lot to frost as the
brussels sprouts an cabbage went.

My brussel sprouts never got over 6" tall. :-( The bloke on the next plot
has these huge plants with giant sized sprouts, and we've got nothing bigger
than a pea

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we call
gardening.

I have a Plan this year - more concentration on the essentials, less faffing
about with the fippery.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Sprouts and Savoys are fine as is the Kale but the winter cabbages bolted,
every one of them, and the spring cabbages don't look too promising but may
pick up if it gets a bit warmer.

I went to see the kale this afternoon, and although the red russian was kind
of ok (although there's not much of it - not sure if it got pigeoned or if
it just gave up), the green was very very unhappy.

It's our Garlic I'm concerned about, it just didn't start growing as it
usually does. Planted as usual and it normally grows to about 9 inches to a
foot tall and overwinters but this year some aren't even showing now and the
tallest is only a couple of inches. Very strange.

We just bought a load of garlic at quarter price in the sale, so going to
try and get that in soon. And some more onions. Had some good onions last
year - probably our best year for them so far - but did really badly getting
4 identical ones for showing! Lots of groups of 3!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-08 19:41:36 +0000, Jake said:

[...]

snip
The only other thing to report is a couple of amorous frogs in the
pond - a bit early for it I thought but clearly the one underneath
was being pushed around by the one on top and enjoying the
experience. Lots of late frog spawn last year put paid to a clearout
of the pond which I've really got to do now so come what may there'll
be a reduction in water level and temporary removal of all the
planting in the next few weeks.

Jake

That really is early for frogs - perhaps we shall have an early spring
after all! They must be at least as reliable as a piece of seaweed.
;-)

Did you mean edible or reliable? Only kidding.

Baz
Old 08-01-2011, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Question. What in hell is or was fippery?

I kept the fly of the carrots by constructing a frame of timber and
cladding it with polythene. It works fine. You have to make sure that you
bed it all in, by that I mean between the frame and the soil there are no
gaps. There are sceptics but I have carrots, OK not perfect, far from it,
but I have them fly free.

Lets hope your potatoes are deep enough to escape the frosts you had in
your area.

Its a differing tale about our harvests this year, some people have had a
success and others a failure with various things. I could spit sometimes
when I hear what other people have. I think this is my 4th year comming
up at trying to grow veg and wish I had done it years before.

I havn't done the maths but after buying seeds, compost and every other
thing a gardener has to buy, the crop has cost me more than in the
supermarkets. That expense is nothing when you taste the produce grown by
yourself and see the grandkids willingly tucking in. Priceless.

Anyway enough faffing and fippery from me now.
(does this mean farting around?)
Baz

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Question. What in hell is or was fippery?

It's just like frippery but where the 'r' fails to line up. ;-)

I kept the fly of the carrots by constructing a frame of timber and
cladding it with polythene. It works fine. You have to make sure that you
bed it all in, by that I mean between the frame and the soil there are no
gaps. There are sceptics but I have carrots, OK not perfect, far from it,
but I have them fly free.

Hmm. I'll see how I do, but we've had terrible trouble with all attempts at
fleecing and netting and framing and ... well, you get the idea. The sweet
potatoes were a nightmare of a battle between the fleece and the elements.

I havn't done the maths but after buying seeds, compost and every other
thing a gardener has to buy, the crop has cost me more than in the
supermarkets. That expense is nothing when you taste the produce grown by
yourself and see the grandkids willingly tucking in. Priceless.

Tbh, other than the tomatoes I don't really get the difference. I'm
terrible for that, really. Oh, and the strawberries. But it's the
convenient of being able to nip out and pick soemthing and not have to go to
the supermarket all the time - the local shop is a co-op but they dont' tend
to stock all that much.

Anyway enough faffing and fippery from me now.
(does this mean farting around?)

Kind of. It's the "growing things we're not going to get round to using in
time" aspect that annoys me most. We grew /loads/ of peas last year, cos
we've always had trouble with peas - then we didn't harvest in time and they
all went over, which was just maddening. Same is happening with the
potatoes. All that effort, then it just goes to waste cos we're never home
at the right times.

And add to that Nick and his increasing hobbies ...

Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2011 18:25, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

On 08/01/2011 13:15, Baz wrote:
[...]

I can't blame you for not liking frozen veg., although I consider my own
stock an improvement on shop-bought. A WI aunt, eh, now that's what I
call a valuable resource. I have a neighbour with a similar appetite
for preserve and pickle making, so I always contact her when I have a
glut of anything.

You're making me envious of all that mud! Aw, go on, send us a bit:~)).
It'll be a couple of days before I get outside. Heaven help anyone
who tries to get me in once I'm out there!

Well, I'm off to bed or I'll be in no fit state to greet my visitors.
Night night.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Oh, er, frippery, never heard of that either(my ignorance is bliss)

I had a terrible time fastening the polythene to the frame, and I am a
joiner, so for someone who might not be as dexterous as myself it might not
be too easy. Its not just ok to staple the polythene to the frame, you have
to sandwich it with laths if its going to last a year or two.

As for the the rest, I think we have all done what you describe and felt
your frustration. Fact of life almost. With the pea situation to support
them I bought some pea neting and its quite expensive in relation, so when
they are exhausted put the net along with the spent plants into a plastic
bag and leave the lot alone until you need the net again. Its a mucky job
but you will have a bit of compost and a net to use again.

Also, not everyone in the world can taste the difference between home and
supermarket vegetables, but as you say all you have to do is go and pick em
or dig em. A convenience store at home. Well almost.

Baz

Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-08 21:27:01 +0000, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

snip

That really is early for frogs - perhaps we shall have an early spring
after all! They must be at least as reliable as a piece of seaweed.
;-)

Did you mean edible or reliable? Only kidding.

Baz

Ugh - trust me - I mean reliable!!

Sorry.

Baz
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post

Tbh, other than the tomatoes I don't really get the difference. I'm
terrible for that, really. Oh, and the strawberries. But it's the
convenient of being able to nip out and pick soemthing and not have to go to
the supermarket all the time - the local shop is a co-op but they dont' tend
to stock all that much.
.
Purple sprouting is brilliant, tastes very different to anything you can buy. And radishes.

But fruit growing is more forgiving, especially things like apples where you have quite a good window for picking, especially the later ripening varieties.
__________________
Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 20:00:11 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:15:12 GMT, Baz wrote:

Went out this morning as it is the only dry ...snipped ...

Soon be time to start sowing and planting again in this lucky dip we
call gardening.
Baz

Yep. Tiz that time of year. Though this year, I won't be growing any
veg - just fruit (apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries and
tomatoes). The veg patch is destined for a building project. A friend
who was made redundant a couple of years ago (then 62) got an
allotment last year and I'm going to get all the veg I need from him,
probably in return for assistance with digging and wotnot.

Bet you start again and somehow make room.

I think it'll turn into a joint allotment so probably no veg patch at
home. My main job is going to be persuading the OH to let me remove
two over-large and mainly dead conifers. They were originally little
dwarf things about 6 inches tall that cost 25p each some 30 years ago.
They're now about 20 feet tall and last year I had to reroute the
garden path around them as removal of the trees would have started a
local war! The only green on them is the tips of the branches.

more snips

The only other thing to report is a couple of amorous frogs in the
pond - a bit early for it I thought but clearly the one underneath was
being pushed around by the one on top and enjoying the experience.
Lots of late frog spawn last year put paid to a clearout of the pond
which I've really got to do now so come what may there'll be a
reduction in water level and temporary removal of all the planting in
the next few weeks.

So in oter words they were having a jump.

No oters here - only frogs which appeared to be swimming around
rather than jumping. Though I've seen them jump on the lawn
occasionally. (joking !!!!!)

Jake