Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

Default Should I remove the carbon from my filter?

Take it out for a planted tank. I doesn't really help you, and it may
(especially when its fresh) take significant trace elements out of the
water. You are better off with out it. Replace it with some other high
surface area filter substrate-- like ceramic beeds or the like.

-Bruce Geist
"cindy" wrote in message
om...
Still getting my first planted tank squared away...its looking quite
nice. Should I be removing the activated carbon from my filters? I
use a Penquin 170 that has carbon inside the filter material. Does
the carbon remove the trace elements and ferts I am adding to the
tank? Also, I have been changing the filter monthly as recommended
by the LFS but I have read on other forums never to change the filter
(because it houses the beneficial bacteria), however I also have a bio
wheel.

TIA,