Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Frustrated rookies like me.

On Jan 10, 5:45*pm, Baz wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote :

As you will no doubt know Baz I am kill filed, so this will fall on
stony ground .................................................. ... NOT

Write to the BBC, OTHERS DO, so you might get what you seek ;-)

Mike

You are not killfiled by me!
Writing to the BBC is futile. As in a waste of a stamp and the time taken
to write the letter.
In a couple of years nobody and no-one will have the burden of the anual
migration of hard earned cash to the overpaid overexposed cretinous trash
we call celeberities.
But they will still broadcast, not as we know it now. They will have to
earn the cash and not under the hood of the law.

Baz

Gardening is like posting messages to groups, sometimes you have to
keep trying, and nothing comes up then other times you get 2 or 3 when
you expect just one.
The answer is trial and error and try to learn from your mistakes.
Look at other peoples gardens, ask questions but dont always expect to
get the same results as others.
Where I lived a few years ago my next door neighbourt grew Exhibition
onions, just over the hedge I would plant a pound of sets and get back
half a pound of onions, the difference was he had been improving his
soil for 30 or 40 years, but I could grow cabbage and letuce, and good
tomatoes in the glass house.
I couldn't understand why everyone in that part of Wales grew their
veg in raised beds till I found out just how wet the ground could get.
The raised beds provided drainage and the soil wasn't walked on.
The problem with having a week by week prog. for new gardeners would
be where would you site it. Where ever you chose there would be a
majority of gardeners for whome it would be wrong, either to early to
do the jobs, or to late, as the weather etc varies from one part of
the country to another,
Here near Swansea we have been having an almost early spring with
sunshine and some rain but almost frost free, where as just 40 or so
miles to the East they have been having more snow, as have those 20
miles North of us.
If in doubt just ask questions, look things up on google etc, then if
you can't work out what is being said come back and see if someone can
sort it out for you,
David