Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

Default Should I remove the carbon from my filter?

Surface cleaning tip: I keep a length of PVC in the cabinet under my tank
which is capped on one end and is just long enough that, when I slip it over
the intake tube to my filter, the open end is about 1/4" below the surface
of the water.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"
(either in the cabinet under the tank or, according to my spouse, on the
basement stairs)

Bruce Geist wrote in message
I am using an Eheim surface extractor with limited success. The surface
extractor I am using tends to clog with leaves and other plant parts. I
have added a couple of powerheads to produce small amounts of surface
agitation to help keep surface scum at bay.

Other than that, I change 40 to 50 percent of my tank water once per week.
I still get some film on my water by the end of the week, but its not too
bad.

Protein skimmers do not work well in freshwater. This is second hand
knowledge; I have not tried it myself. Apparently in fresh water, bubbles
are not fine enough to make the thing work. As for the other products you
mention, I am not familiar with them. What is in them?

-Bruce Geist
"SlimFlem" wrote in message
If the general consensus is not to use carbon in the planted tank, what

is
the best way to remove disolved organics and/or protein "scum"/film from

the
surface? Would something like PuriGen or Chemi-Pure be acceptable? I

had
begun to develop a white film on the surface of my tank. I ran carbon

for
4
days and the film was completely removed.

Would protein skimmers be worth it in planted tanks? What about surface
extractor add-ons for canisters such as Eheim?

Thanks,
Jesse

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
Take it out for a planted tank. I doesn't really help you, and it may
(especially when its fresh) take significant trace elements out of the
water. You are better off with out it. Replace it with some other

high
surface area filter substrate-- like ceramic beeds or the like.

-Bruce Geist
"cindy" wrote in message
om...
Still getting my first planted tank squared away...its looking quite
nice. Should I be removing the activated carbon from my filters? I
use a Penquin 170 that has carbon inside the filter material. Does
the carbon remove the trace elements and ferts I am adding to the
tank? Also, I have been changing the filter monthly as recommended
by the LFS but I have read on other forums never to change the

filter
(because it houses the beneficial bacteria), however I also have a

bio
wheel.

TIA,