Old 13-01-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Un-heated polytunnel use

harry wrote in
:

On Jan 13, 1:26*am, "p.mc" wrote:
Hi all

I bought and installed a poly tunnel in my NW of England garden, Oct
2010

.
I've been kitting it out ready for use and have made the staging and
flooring from skip dived pallets. It took a lot of hard work but the
savi

ngs
were worth it. I also got some top soil from my daughters school
which I filled the beds with, mixing in 4 bags of garden centre
compost I had ove

r.
I bought a variety of seeds, onions,carrots,peppers,tomatoes...etc.
and fancy having a go at growing from seed and keeping some plants
like chill

ies
in pots in the tunnel. I know there's not a great deal of room in the
tun

nel
so I was hoping some experienced gardeners could give advice on when
to start seeds before moving to tunnel and maybe what to grow in
certain bed

and what to grow in pots, in fact any ideas what to do and improve my
harvest with what I have.

I have googled info, but you can't beat this group for instruction
and so

und
advice from its immense volume of experienced gardeners. I was hoping
the replies would also benefit others that come across it's heading
for futur

reference too.

I apologies for not specifying exact crop but I am a total newbie to
propagating and then growing in an un-heated greenhouse, so will be
tryin

and adjusting to each comment made through this posting. Please click
my links below to see my floor plan, site and actual tunnel for
referencing.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nnel/145x2metr.
..h

ttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nnel/Polytunne..
.http://
i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...http:/
/i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...http:
//i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...

p.s
Excuse the mess, still in progress.

Kind Regards
p.mc

No-one can tell you any dates. It depends on the weather especially
when your tunnel is unheated. The weather seems to have gone mad.
I have made myself a large heated propagator. This gets over the
problem to an extent.
Most of the seed packets will give you and idea of when to plant. best
perhaps to leave it a bit later this year.

Aren't you concerned about the structure blowing away in the gales you
will surely get in NW england?
I am curious because I have had similar, but a much smaler one reduced to
a windsock.

Baz