Old 13-01-2011, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Un-heated polytunnel use

Hi all

I bought and installed a poly tunnel in my NW of England garden, Oct 2010.
I've been kitting it out ready for use and have made the staging and
flooring from skip dived pallets. It took a lot of hard work but the savings
were worth it. I also got some top soil from my daughters school which I
filled the beds with, mixing in 4 bags of garden centre compost I had over.
I bought a variety of seeds, onions,carrots,peppers,tomatoes...etc. and
fancy having a go at growing from seed and keeping some plants like chillies
in pots in the tunnel. I know there's not a great deal of room in the tunnel
so I was hoping some experienced gardeners could give advice on when to
start seeds before moving to tunnel and maybe what to grow in certain beds
and what to grow in pots, in fact any ideas what to do and improve my
harvest with what I have.

I have googled info, but you can't beat this group for instruction and sound
advice from its immense volume of experienced gardeners. I was hoping the
replies would also benefit others that come across it's heading for future
reference too.

I apologies for not specifying exact crop but I am a total newbie to
propagating and then growing in an un-heated greenhouse, so will be trying
and adjusting to each comment made through this posting. Please click my
links below to see my floor plan, site and actual tunnel for referencing.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...polytunnel.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...lytunnel23.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...lytunnel22.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...lytunnel14.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...lytunnel11.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...olytunnel5.jpg

p.s
Excuse the mess, still in progress.

Kind Regards
p.mc

Old 13-01-2011, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 01:58:20 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

give advice on when to
start seeds before moving to tunnel

Well I have sown some Tomatoes this week , on the window sill, and in
a couple of months will move them into an unheated greenhouse. So
worth a go.
Nothing is easier, or more rewarding than begriming a new greenhouse
or poly tunnel than growing your own Tomatoes.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 13-01-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

.
[...]

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nnel/145x2metr.
..h

ttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nnel/Polytunne..
.http://
i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...http:/
/i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...http:
//i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Poly%20tunnel/Polytunne...

p.s
Excuse the mess, still in progress.

Kind Regards
p.mc

No-one can tell you any dates. It depends on the weather especially
when your tunnel is unheated. The weather seems to have gone mad.
I have made myself a large heated propagator. This gets over the
problem to an extent.
Most of the seed packets will give you and idea of when to plant. best
perhaps to leave it a bit later this year.

Aren't you concerned about the structure blowing away in the gales you
will surely get in NW england?
I am curious because I have had similar, but a much smaler one reduced to
a windsock.

Baz
Old 13-01-2011, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

harry wrote in
:

/
[...]

By the way, I love your dog..
You have done a damn good job with the tunel.
I wonder what the egg cartons are going to be used for. Chitting?
Looks like you are organised and ready for the onset.

Good luck to you my friend, though luck is not something you are relying
on.
Baz

Old 17-01-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have made myself a large heated propagator. This gets over the
problem to an extent.
Most of the seed packets will give you and idea of when to plant. best
perhaps to leave it a bit later this year.

-----------

How did you do that Harry? and maybe you could give us a few images :-))

Regards
p.mc
Old 27-01-2011, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Made myself a heated propagater and put a heater in the tunnel, I've started
a few seeds 23rd Jan...Toms, parsnips, chillies, cabbage (germinated 26th)
onions (showing 26th) and a cople of hebs yesterday. I've also put sockets
and lights in too, with a home made grow light also.

I'll put some images up soon, got to go out now.

p.mc

--

Regards
p.mc
"p.mc" wrote in message
I have made myself a large heated propagator. This gets over the
problem to an extent.
Most of the seed packets will give you and idea of when to plant. best
perhaps to leave it a bit later this year.

How did you do that Harry? and maybe you could give us a few images :-))

Regards
p.mc

Now heated polytunnel (advice please) p.mc[_3_] United Kingdom 13 05-02-2011 12:26 AM
Heated pond FrankS Ponds 32 07-02-2004 11:10 PM
Heating Pads, etc. Was: Help please with this heated seedling mat Nell Orchids 1 09-04-2003 03:56 PM
Help please with this heated seedling mat Elpaninaro Orchids 4 27-03-2003 01:44 AM
Heated bench david United Kingdom 0 23-02-2003 09:41 PM