Old 18-01-2011, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Black tuscany kale

michael wrote:
I love Black Tuscany kale,but unfortunately the cold winter has seen
it off this year.I use seeds from Seeds of Italy,and notice that it
has the word 'Precoce' in the label,which indicates that it is an
early variety.
Does anyone know whether there are any of this variety of kale that
withstands a severe winter?All of my other kales seemed to have
survived ,but I do like Black Tuscany,as it has a flavour rather like
spring cabbage.

This year I had 3 different kales - a green one that I forget the name of,
and 2 red ones, called Red Russian and Red Spine (or something similar - I
only recall because I found my list at the weekend!).

I currently have red kale which survived the winter, but I can't tell you if
it is one or the other (or a mix!) - I had previously assumed it was all Red
Russian!