Old 18-01-2011, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black tuscany kale

I love Black Tuscany kale,but unfortunately the cold winter has seen
it off this year.I use seeds from Seeds of Italy,and notice that it
has the word 'Precoce' in the label,which indicates that it is an
early variety.
Does anyone know whether there are any of this variety of kale that
withstands a severe winter?All of my other kales seemed to have
survived ,but I do like Black Tuscany,as it has a flavour rather like
spring cabbage.
Michael
Old 18-01-2011, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

michael wrote:
I love Black Tuscany kale,but unfortunately the cold winter has seen
it off this year.I use seeds from Seeds of Italy,and notice that it
has the word 'Precoce' in the label,which indicates that it is an
early variety.
Does anyone know whether there are any of this variety of kale that
withstands a severe winter?All of my other kales seemed to have
survived ,but I do like Black Tuscany,as it has a flavour rather like
spring cabbage.

This year I had 3 different kales - a green one that I forget the name of,
and 2 red ones, called Red Russian and Red Spine (or something similar - I
only recall because I found my list at the weekend!).

I currently have red kale which survived the winter, but I can't tell you if
it is one or the other (or a mix!) - I had previously assumed it was all Red
Russian!
Old 18-01-2011, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I currently have red kale which survived the winter, but I can't tell you if
it is one or the other (or a mix!) - I had previously assumed it was all Red
Russian!

Red Russian has survived the last few winters in upstate New York (Draw a
line due west of Boston (the American one), and north from New York city;
I'm just about at the intersection). Even flowered and set seed the next
year, despite being eaten to the ground by local wildlife. Tuscan Kale AKA
Dinosaur and a few others didn't. I've got a dozen plants in the root
cellar, hoping to plant them out in the spring for seed. I hope it works;
I like that one a lot!

Old 18-01-2011, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 18, 4:06*pm, Gary Woods wrote:
wrote:
I currently have red kale which survived the winter, but I can't tell you if
it is one or the other (or a mix!) - I had previously assumed it was all Red
Russian!

Red Russian has survived the last few winters in upstate New York (Draw a
line due west of Boston (the American one), and north from New York city;
I'm just about at the intersection). *Even flowered and set seed the next
year, despite being eaten to the ground by local wildlife. *Tuscan Kale AKA
Dinosaur and a few others didn't. *I've got a dozen plants in the root
cellar, hoping to plant them out in the spring for seed. *I hope it works;
I like that one a lot!

See if you get any growth from the Black Tuscany Kale in the spring ,
if you get any plant making growth, keep it for seed that way you will
be working towards a hardier strain.
Old 19-01-2011, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 04:39:42 -0800 (PST), michael
wrote:

I love Black Tuscany kale,but unfortunately the cold winter has seen
it off this year.I use seeds from Seeds of Italy,and notice that it
has the word 'Precoce' in the label,which indicates that it is an
early variety.
Does anyone know whether there are any of this variety of kale that
withstands a severe winter?All of my other kales seemed to have
survived ,but I do like Black Tuscany,as it has a flavour rather like
spring cabbage.
Michael

I have grown Cavolo Nero in the past. It has very narrow leaves. I
saw some once on an allotment which had much broader leaves. What are
your Black Tuscany like? The Seeds of Italy which I've had in the
past seem good quality. I might try that one.

Pam in Bristol