Old 21-01-2011, 02:36 PM
HaroldJohnson HaroldJohnson is offline
Registered User

I realize that this thread is a bit (and by that I mean a lot) outdated, but seeing as I stumbled across it through a google search, I thought I would provide an update to anyone else in my situation.

The Gardena electric reel mowers now offer a model with a Lithium battery. Not only does this make charging easier (harder to overcharge) but it also supplies more energy and consistent energy until the very end (unlike other batteries which slowly die out meaning you get a degradation in performance).

You can check out more on the Gardena here if interested: Gardena electric reel mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
Oops. It's not twice as wide. The Brill Luxus is 38 CM vs Scott's 20 in.

"Someone" wrote in message news:...
Interesting. I'm looking at reel mowers too. Did you come across the

People
Powered Machines site? There's a comparison chart that makes me think the
Brill Luxus is the best on the market. It's about half as heavy as the
Scotts, almost twice as wide and only needs sharpening once every 8 years.
Does anyone have experience with this machine? Is this too good to be

true?

Compare Push Reel Mowers: side by side charts: from People Powered Machines

"Dave" wrote in message
I would go with the manual Scott's model.

Dave
wrote in message
I've read quite a few posts about reel type mowers and I'd like to buy
one.

I did a google search which found many interesting discussions about
the merits of electric vs gas vs manual reel mowers.

I've narrowed the choice down to two reel mowers available locally.

They a

Scotts Classic 20" wide manual, up to 3" inch cutting height
Scotts Classic reel mower

Gardena 15" wide rechargeable, up to 1 3/4" cutting height

http://www.gardena.com/INT/applicati...jsp&event=link

(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=04040-20_DEen&wlcs_catalog_category_id=PK405
01_DEen

The Gardena is just over twice the price of the Scotts, but the actual
price difference is about $100.

My questions a

1) The Gardena's electric motor means that you personally don't have
to manually supply the energy needed to spin the cutting blades. Does
that make a noticeable/significant difference in the work needed to
push the mower?

2) The Scotts Classic is five inches wider than the Gardena. Which
factor saves more time mowing the lawn, the extra width of the Scotts
or the electric motor of the Gardena?

3) Is the extra cutting height of the Scotts, 3" vs the Gardena's 1
3/4", a decisive factor?