Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
kush

Default Should I remove the carbon from my filter?

SlimFlem wrote ...
... I still don't see how this helps to remove the scum/disolved organics

unless
there is some sort of filter medium to remove it once this PVC sucks it

into
the filter... what sorts of filter mediums are you using?

I have an oversized AquaVia with a slow flow rate and jam-packed with filter
floss, sponge media, ceramic bio rings, and (gasp!) activated carbon as well
as anything else that may strike my fancy at the LFS. Whatever eventually
comes out the other end is pure enough to sterilize contact lenses in (well,
someone else's contact lenses, maybe).

"Bruce Geist" wrote...
...the PVC acts as a channel for surface water to get sucked up into? Is

this PVC acting as a
DIY surface extractor?

Correct.

Is it pretty convenient to use?

It used to be, before I drilled a hole in my intake strainer to insert a CO2
line. I would just sort of twist the intake tube off to the side and slip
the pipe over it, then twist the whole thing back into place... elapsed
time, five seconds. Now I would have to disconnect the CO2 first but,
truthfully, I haven't needed to use it for a while. I suppose I could drill
a passthrough hole for the CO2 line in the PVC, too.

The two times I used it, it only took a couple of days to clear up the
problem. I think if I had it to do over again I wouldn't worry about
capping the pipe; I'd just bury the open end in the gravel.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"