Old 25-01-2011, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Ring culture

On 2011-01-24 21:15:00 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 12:11 pm, "dido22" wrote:
Hello,

I grow tomatoes in large tubs in the g'house each year. The g'house is
small
(6' X 4') and I can only get 4 plants in because the tubs are very large.

I'd like to get more plants in, and am thinking of trying ring culture.. I
know what ring culture is & how it is supposed to work, but does anyone
have
any experience of using it? Also, how many plants should I aim to get in?
have never had serious problems with blight, but I know that over crowding
could cause it.

Thanks

KK

I use it all the time.
The main benifit is that you chuck all the growing medium out every
year reducing disease.
It's not possible to overwater.
They're a lot better than stupid growbags.
You won't get any more stuff in the greenhouse though.

In my experience purely as a consumer of gifts of tomatoes, both ring
culture and bed grown, I found the bed grown tomatoes far more flavoursome
than the ring culture ones which always seemed too watery.

Bill

We grow all our tomatoes in compost bags but what then, what does Ray
know. *He's only been growing them for 62 years - professionally.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't bother to grow more than 4 in a house that size, if you
grow more plants you will get less fruit per plant and more problems
with lack of air movement etc.
As far as flavour etc goes, years ago when I was in tomato growing,
the ones we kept for ourselves were the ones where the spray lines
didn't realy reach, so they grew harder, had smaller fruit but the
Flavour .........
David