Old 24-01-2011, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ring culture

Hello,

I grow tomatoes in large tubs in the g'house each year. The g'house is small
(6' X 4') and I can only get 4 plants in because the tubs are very large.

I'd like to get more plants in, and am thinking of trying ring culture. I
know what ring culture is & how it is supposed to work, but does anyone have
any experience of using it? Also, how many plants should I aim to get in? I
have never had serious problems with blight, but I know that over crowding
could cause it.

Thanks

KK

Old 24-01-2011, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:11:37 -0000, dido22 wrote:

Hello,

I grow tomatoes in large tubs in the g'house each year. The g'house is small
(6' X 4') and I can only get 4 plants in because the tubs are very large.

I'd like to get more plants in, and am thinking of trying ring culture. I
know what ring culture is & how it is supposed to work, but does anyone have
any experience of using it? Also, how many plants should I aim to get in? I
have never had serious problems with blight, but I know that over crowding
could cause it.

Thanks

KK

Not sure you will get more than four in without the leaves preventing
circulation and inhibiting moulds and inviting whitefly.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 24-01-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 24, 12:11*pm, "dido22" wrote:
Hello,

I grow tomatoes in large tubs in the g'house each year. The g'house is small
(6' X 4') and I can only get 4 plants in because the tubs are very large.

I'd like to get more plants in, and am thinking of trying ring culture. I
know what ring culture is & how it is supposed to work, but does anyone have
any experience of using it? Also, how many plants should I aim to get in? I
have never had serious problems with blight, but I know that over crowding
could cause it.

Thanks

KK

I use it all the time.
The main benifit is that you chuck all the growing medium out every
year reducing disease.
It's not possible to overwater.
They're a lot better than stupid growbags.
You won't get any more stuff in the greenhouse though.
Old 24-01-2011, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

In my experience purely as a consumer of gifts of tomatoes, both ring
culture and bed grown, I found the bed grown tomatoes far more flavoursome
than the ring culture ones which always seemed too watery.

Bill

Old 25-01-2011, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-01-24 21:15:00 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

We grow all our tomatoes in compost bags but what then, what does Ray
know. *He's only been growing them for 62 years - professionally.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't bother to grow more than 4 in a house that size, if you
grow more plants you will get less fruit per plant and more problems
with lack of air movement etc.
As far as flavour etc goes, years ago when I was in tomato growing,
the ones we kept for ourselves were the ones where the spray lines
didn't realy reach, so they grew harder, had smaller fruit but the
Flavour .........
David

Old 25-01-2011, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-24 21:15:00 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

I would never have imagined that compost bags had been around for 62 years!

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 25-01-2011, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 25, 2:59*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On 2011-01-24 21:15:00 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Neither would I. But why let facts get in the way of a good
reproval? :-)
Old 26-01-2011, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all the help.

I assume that 'bed-grown' means grown in the ground rather than in a tub. My
g;house is on concrete so I dont have that option. I have tried growing
outdoor varieties elsewhere in the garden, with limited success (I live in
S. Gloucestershire).

A bigger g'house is the best option, but the maximum size I could fit in
would be 5' X 7' . I've looked around but cannot find one.

Thanks again

KK

Old 26-01-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-25 17:27:16 +0000, harry said:

Neither would I. But why let facts get in the way of a good
reproval? :-)

Never let it be said that you live and learn, either.
--
Sacha

Even when one has a bus pass, one is never to old to learn, is one?

Old 27-01-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:27:16 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 25, 2:59*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Jan 24, 10:52 pm, Sacha wrote:

[...]

We grow all our tomatoes in compost bags but what then, what does Ray
know. He's only been growing them for 62 years - professionally.
--

I would never have imagined that compost bags had been around for 62 years!

Neither would I. But why let facts get in the way of a good
reproval? :-)

62 years' accumulated expertise in tomato-growing seems to me a rather
good basis for judging new techniques arriving during that period.

--
Mike.