Old 25-01-2011, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Ring culture

On 2011-01-24 21:15:00 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 12:11 pm, "dido22" wrote:
Hello,

I grow tomatoes in large tubs in the g'house each year. The g'house is
small
(6' X 4') and I can only get 4 plants in because the tubs are very
large.

I'd like to get more plants in, and am thinking of trying ring culture.
know what ring culture is & how it is supposed to work, but does anyone
have
any experience of using it? Also, how many plants should I aim to get
in?
have never had serious problems with blight, but I know that over
crowding
could cause it.

Thanks

KK

I use it all the time.
The main benifit is that you chuck all the growing medium out every
year reducing disease.
It's not possible to overwater.
They're a lot better than stupid growbags.
You won't get any more stuff in the greenhouse though.

In my experience purely as a consumer of gifts of tomatoes, both ring
culture and bed grown, I found the bed grown tomatoes far more
flavoursome
than the ring culture ones which always seemed too watery.

Bill

We grow all our tomatoes in compost bags but what then, what does Ray
know. He's only been growing them for 62 years - professionally.
--

I would never have imagined that compost bags had been around for 62 years!

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive