Old 25-01-2011, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Ohioguy wrote:

Other ideas I've had are rhubarb or everbearing raspberries, such as
heritage. Anyone have thoughts on these?

IMO rhubarb would do better on the north or east side. it doesn't
like the heat. I never had any luck with raspberries at all, but it
seems like they might be better suited.

Dad in Buffalo grew rhubarb and it got bigger every year until they
finally moved to a retirement home. I bet it's still in the old back
yard. It was in a pretty moist spot in the yard though. It's Buffalo
where there aren't any dry spots in many yards.

I saw blackberries grow wild in the Pacific Northwest when we lived in
Seattle metro. I have no idea if raspberries grow well in a dry spot.
I've only seen them in places with okay moisture through quite damp.

Others suggest grapes. At my old place in Chicago metro we had a
volunteer grape that I had to trim regularly to keep it from eating one
of the neighbor's crabapple trees. I never watered it and its root was
behind the shed so it never got watered. Grape sounds like a good plan
for a hot dry spot in this zone.