Old 27-01-2011, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Best flowering plants to grow indoors...

RobCardiff writes:

Hello everyone, great for you have here.

When you post on Gardenbanter, the posts are relayed to Usenet.
A lot of the replies you see will be from Usenet.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them
in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I
don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Depends on the light available.

For almost no light required and reliable blooming,
Christmas Cactus works for me. In a north facing
window I get blooms from November to March.

Under lights African Violets bloom almost constantly.
They may work for you in a window. East or West facing
is best.

I have a Snake Plant that blooms every 4 or 5 years.
The flowers aren't much to look at but they smell nice.