Old 28-01-2011, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Raised beds.

"Suzanne D." wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. Say 2 foot dep. . Will
the weeds come through ,or will they die.

I would definitely lay down a kill mulch first. I use layers of old phone
book pages. You could also use cardboard or newspaper. Wet it well--both
the ground before laying it down, and the mulch afterward; that'll get it
decomposing faster. You can then fill the bed with soil, but be sure to put
organic stuff in it as well...dead leaves, grass clippings, straw, shredded
paper, kitchen scraps, finished compost... A little cow poo above the mulch
will get the earthworms interested.

You probably don't need two whole feet for the bed.

Not for the plants-- but we did a 2' high raised bed for my dad
several years ago when he got a new hip & couldn't bend very well.

He is a lot more flexible now, but that 4x8 bed still produces most of
his daily veggies. The 50x100 plot gets filled each year, too.

It was placed on a piece of lawn. We put nothing down- filled the
whole thing from his compost pile. His garden is on clay- so he's
happy to have someplace to garden early in the spring when the old
plot is a mud-hole.

Jim