Old 28-01-2011, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised beds.

If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. Say 2 foot dep. . Will the
weeds come through ,or will they die.

Old 28-01-2011, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

2 ft. deep??
Yes the weeds will die...BUT..I encourage you to learn more about raised
beds. Do some research. Do a google search on "French intensive gardening"
and double dug raised beds.
Simply dumping 2 ft of soil on the ground isn't the best method of making a
raised bed. I also encourage you to look into;
www.dirtdoctor.com

Try, if you can to actually listen to the radio program and actually get
involved and CALL IN to ask questions.
Way more good information than you are ever going to get in this group, from
REAL gardeners, with tons of research to back up their methods. Sometimes I
see posts here and simply shake my head in disbelief. It's good
entertainment sometimes, but more often than not it's a bunch of worthless
crap. That's my opinion, but you know what they say about how opinions are
like assholes....everyone has one.

Old 28-01-2011, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. *Say 2 foot dep. . *Will
the weeds come through ,or will they die.

GOOGLE is really screwing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean they have always screwed USENET up.

greg

Old 28-01-2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. Say 2 foot dep. . Will
the weeds come through ,or will they die.

I would definitely lay down a kill mulch first. I use layers of old phone
book pages. You could also use cardboard or newspaper. Wet it well--both
the ground before laying it down, and the mulch afterward; that'll get it
decomposing faster. You can then fill the bed with soil, but be sure to put
organic stuff in it as well...dead leaves, grass clippings, straw, shredded
paper, kitchen scraps, finished compost... A little cow poo above the mulch
will get the earthworms interested.

You probably don't need two whole feet for the bed. If you want to grow
large root vegetables like carrots then one foot of good, sandy soil is
plenty. Anything else could probably take six inches. My wooden beds are
six inches tall, and not fully filled, and I do fine. The roots will
eventually go down through the decaying mulch, so the bed itself doesn't
have to be too deep.
--S.

Old 28-01-2011, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. Say 2 foot dep. . Will
the weeds come through ,or will they die.

I would definitely lay down a kill mulch first. I use layers of old phone
book pages. You could also use cardboard or newspaper. Wet it well--both
the ground before laying it down, and the mulch afterward; that'll get it
decomposing faster. You can then fill the bed with soil, but be sure to put
organic stuff in it as well...dead leaves, grass clippings, straw, shredded
paper, kitchen scraps, finished compost... A little cow poo above the mulch
will get the earthworms interested.

You probably don't need two whole feet for the bed.

Not for the plants-- but we did a 2' high raised bed for my dad
several years ago when he got a new hip & couldn't bend very well.

He is a lot more flexible now, but that 4x8 bed still produces most of
his daily veggies. The 50x100 plot gets filled each year, too.

It was placed on a piece of lawn. We put nothing down- filled the
whole thing from his compost pile. His garden is on clay- so he's
happy to have someplace to garden early in the spring when the old
plot is a mud-hole.

Jim

Old 28-01-2011, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

g'day,

they should not come through all depends how you start the process.

see our presentations might be an idea or 2 there?

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/builds.htm

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:55:03 -0500, "DogDiesel"
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 28-01-2011, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. Say 2 foot dep. . Will
the weeds come through ,or will they die.

I would definitely lay down a kill mulch first. I use layers of old phone
book pages. You could also use cardboard or newspaper. Wet it well--both
the ground before laying it down, and the mulch afterward; that'll get it
decomposing faster. You can then fill the bed with soil, but be sure to put
organic stuff in it as well...dead leaves, grass clippings, straw, shredded
paper, kitchen scraps, finished compost... A little cow poo above the mulch
will get the earthworms interested.

I haven't had much luck with mulching and growing carrots. Insect hide
in the mulch and then come out at night to eat my plants. My best luck
with radishes and carrots come from cleared ground. Mulching works much
better (for me) with seedling (starter plants)

You probably don't need two whole feet for the bed. If you want to grow
large root vegetables like carrots then one foot of good, sandy soil is
plenty. Anything else could probably take six inches. My wooden beds are
six inches tall, and not fully filled, and I do fine. The roots will
eventually go down through the decaying mulch, so the bed itself doesn't
have to be too deep.
--S.

--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²