Old 28-01-2011, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Raised beds.

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
If I set a raised bed on a weed infested area. Say 2 foot dep. . Will
the weeds come through ,or will they die.

I would definitely lay down a kill mulch first. I use layers of old phone
book pages. You could also use cardboard or newspaper. Wet it well--both
the ground before laying it down, and the mulch afterward; that'll get it
decomposing faster. You can then fill the bed with soil, but be sure to put
organic stuff in it as well...dead leaves, grass clippings, straw, shredded
paper, kitchen scraps, finished compost... A little cow poo above the mulch
will get the earthworms interested.

I haven't had much luck with mulching and growing carrots. Insect hide
in the mulch and then come out at night to eat my plants. My best luck
with radishes and carrots come from cleared ground. Mulching works much
better (for me) with seedling (starter plants)

You probably don't need two whole feet for the bed. If you want to grow
large root vegetables like carrots then one foot of good, sandy soil is
plenty. Anything else could probably take six inches. My wooden beds are
six inches tall, and not fully filled, and I do fine. The roots will
eventually go down through the decaying mulch, so the bed itself doesn't
have to be too deep.
--S.

--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²