Old 30-01-2011, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc[_3_] p.mc[_3_] is offline

Default Now heated polytunnel (advice please)

"'Mike'" wrote in message news

"p.mc" wrote in message

Hi all

I've had an heater in my (UK, NW region) polytunnel over a week now, that
fluctuates from 6 - 11 degrees C. My first seedlings are a week old and
was wondering if anyone could give advice on what best to do from now on.
From what I've read I'm letting the seeds germinate in my diy heated
propagator, removing them to the opposite bench without lids and giving
them a couple of extra hours artificial light (5-6am / 6-8pm)

a) Do I now transplant them to individual pots or leave them a little
longer??

b) Maybe you could give scenarios on what your procedure would be with my
set up. I'm sure this would help me a lot.

c) Do's n Don'ts.

I'm a complete newbie to this and would greatly appreciate some help from
the group from your experience...See below images.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ymakerToms.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...hireOnions.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...undCabbage.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9janpoly11.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9janpoly10.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...29janpoly6.jpg

Regards
p.mc

Great set of photos p.mc, but may I suggest the photo site I use? It allows
you to put photos into an 'album' on a subject and you just flick from photo
to photo. Here is one I did very recently on a Leylandii hedge
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=AYZGNMW6 and here is another one when I was
invited to the Bridge as Aurora, the P&O Cruise Liner, was making her way up
the Fjord to Olden http://www.myalbum.com/Album=NHADFEBU and as you can see,
on the left are comments.

Quite free and easy to use :-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Thanks Chris & Mike, I've immediately set my timers on the lights for 16hrs
a day (6am-10pm)

I got a real bargain on the lights at B&Q. They were in the damaged or
missing parts section...over £100 saving!
The tubes were already in the fittings and 20 Watts each. The three over my
D.I.Y heated propagator are T5s, and the
two on the sink top are T4s which are apparently more effective, I hope the
wattage is adequate.
Unfortunately the netting is woven inside the plastic, so not much I can do
about that.

Regards
p.mc