Old 30-01-2011, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Now heated polytunnel (advice please)

On 29/01/2011 22:49, p.mc wrote:

Hi all

I've had an heater in my (UK, NW region) polytunnel over a week now,
that fluctuates from 6 - 11 degrees C. My first seedlings are a week old
and was wondering if anyone could give advice on what best to do from
now on. From what I've read I'm letting the seeds germinate in my diy
heated propagator, removing them to the opposite bench without lids and
giving them a couple of extra hours artificial light (5-6am / 6-8pm)

a) Do I now transplant them to individual pots or leave them a little
longer??

b) Maybe you could give scenarios on what your procedure would be with
my set up. I'm sure this would help me a lot.

c) Do's n Don'ts.

I'm a complete newbie to this and would greatly appreciate some help
from the group from your experience...See below images.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ymakerToms.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...hireOnions.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...undCabbage.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9janpoly11.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9janpoly10.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...29janpoly6.jpg

Regards
p.mc

I think that you will find that you will find the light level from
standard strip fluorescent lamps is inadequate once the plants are out
of the seedling stage (ie more than 3 or 4 cm high). Not only that, but
although it may not seem apparent, these lamps produce heat as well as
light, and in close proximity to the plants that will have an effect.

Standard fluorescent lights produce 50 - 100 lumens per watt. If you
look at the link Chris Hogg gave, and get details on the Grolux lamps,
you'll see that these 400w lamps are rated at 58000 lumens (ie around
150 lumens per watt). They also produce a fair amount of heat, but as
they are usually at least a metre above the plants, that is not so much
of a problem.

I think you will find that it is not cost-effective for the amateur to
use artificial lighting to raise seedlings. If it was, we'd all have
been doing it for years.

--

Jeff