Old 30-01-2011, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Darkside Darkside is offline

Default Blue Tits

In article , 'Mike'
writes

Thanks Mike. Yes I did think it was too early for feeding young, but my main
'concern', 'question'?? is do they in fact build nests in hedges? As you say
yours are competing for an empty box. If there is no box, what then?

A few very old-fashioned blue tits still nest in tree holes the way they
evolved to. Has your hedge any trees or old stumps that might have
small holes? Failing that, is there an abandoned motor vehicle,
domestic appliance etc with a small entrance to a larger space inside?
(I once found a nest with 23 eggs behind the headlamp reflector of a
bus. The lamp itself was missing and they flew in and out of the hole.)

--
Sue ]