Old 30-01-2011, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Blue Tits

We have at least two pairs of Blue Tits going from the feeder to a couple of
hedges.

Question. Do Blue Tits build nests in a hedge?

I didn't think they did.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 30-01-2011, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
We have at least two pairs of Blue Tits going from the feeder to a
couple of hedges.

Question. Do Blue Tits build nests in a hedge?

I didn't think they did.

Do you mean now? It's rather early to be feeding young, too! ("My" blue tits
are still just competing for the empty box; no nesting yet.) More likely,
they are taking lumps (of nut?) from the feeder into the hedge to nibble
bits off in safety.

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old 30-01-2011, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
We have at least two pairs of Blue Tits going from the feeder to a
couple of hedges.

Question. Do Blue Tits build nests in a hedge?

I didn't think they did.

Do you mean now? It's rather early to be feeding young, too! ("My" blue
tits are still just competing for the empty box; no nesting yet.) More
likely, they are taking lumps (of nut?) from the feeder into the hedge to
nibble bits off in safety.

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Thanks Mike. Yes I did think it was too early for feeding young, but my main
'concern', 'question'?? is do they in fact build nests in hedges? As you say
yours are competing for an empty box. If there is no box, what then?

Old 30-01-2011, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , 'Mike'
writes

Thanks Mike. Yes I did think it was too early for feeding young, but my main
'concern', 'question'?? is do they in fact build nests in hedges? As you say
yours are competing for an empty box. If there is no box, what then?

A few very old-fashioned blue tits still nest in tree holes the way they
evolved to. Has your hedge any trees or old stumps that might have
small holes? Failing that, is there an abandoned motor vehicle,
domestic appliance etc with a small entrance to a larger space inside?
(I once found a nest with 23 eggs behind the headlamp reflector of a
bus. The lamp itself was missing and they flew in and out of the hole.)

--
Sue ]
Old 30-01-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
In article , 'Mike'
writes

Thanks Mike. Yes I did think it was too early for feeding young, but my
main
'concern', 'question'?? is do they in fact build nests in hedges? As you
say
yours are competing for an empty box. If there is no box, what then?

A few very old-fashioned blue tits still nest in tree holes the way they
evolved to. Has your hedge any trees or old stumps that might have
small holes? Failing that, is there an abandoned motor vehicle,
domestic appliance etc with a small entrance to a larger space inside?
(I once found a nest with 23 eggs behind the headlamp reflector of a
bus. The lamp itself was missing and they flew in and out of the hole.)

--
Sue ]

The two bushes they are going into are only small, say 10 high and 'bushy'
and fairly new. No, no old vehicles hanging about.

Old 30-01-2011, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Darkside wrote:
(I once found a nest with 23 eggs behind the headlamp reflector of a
bus. The lamp itself was missing and they flew in and out of the
hole.)

I had meant to say that I thought that blue tits didn't know how to make a
self-supporting nest the way other birds do, using twigs, mud, cobwebs and
so forth.

Mentioning the headlamp reminds me that I was walking along a dual
carriageway in suburban Bracknell when a blue tit flew across the road but
seemed to disappear half way. I stopped and watched and a pair were entering
a traffic light housing on the central reservation via a cable hole in the
back and presumably feeding young inside. The light only changed for buses
to emerge from a bus lane so was mostly on one colour. Thus the other
bulb(s) must have kept cool. I actually have a photo (somewhere!) of a bird
at the hole.

Mike.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Holes in trees ? Holes in dry stone walls? Streetlights even ?

Bill

Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...

Darkside wrote:
[...]

I have a picture somewhere of a pair of tits that could stop a bus. I agree,
it's a bit early for nesting. 'Mike' is well known on uk.fd, for over-rich
food. I suspect the birds where going to the hedge, to throw up...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bertie Doe
writes

I have a picture somewhere of a pair of tits that could stop a bus.

Would those be great tits?

--
Sue ];(
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message ...

In article , Bertie Doe
writes

I have a picture somewhere of a pair of tits that could stop a bus.

Would those be great tits?

--
Sue ];(

Double-deckerdoorable .... apologies, I think I got 'Mike' of ukrg mixed up
with 'Mike.. . .' of ukfdm, neither have knowingly thrown up in a hedge
IIRC.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Darkside" wrote in message ...

In article , Bertie Doe
writes

I have a picture somewhere of a pair of tits that could stop a bus.

Would those be great tits?

--
Sue ];(

Double-deckerdoorable .... apologies, I think I got 'Mike' of ukrg mixed
up with 'Mike.. . .' of ukfdm, neither have knowingly thrown up in a
hedge IIRC.

Certainly not me. I don't drink enough for that and my social habits are not
in that type of circle ;-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

OT - tits and string David[_21_] United Kingdom 11 25-04-2016 11:18 PM
Blue Tits flown the nest 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 3 13-06-2011 07:04 AM
Blue Tits 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 18 18-04-2011 10:46 AM
Blue tits and friends Dave Hill United Kingdom 13 21-12-2010 10:17 AM
Blue Tits nesting ........... 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 7 16-12-2010 09:47 PM