Old 31-01-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bonfire ash

On 31/01/2011 10:46, 'Mike' wrote:
"Martin wrote in message
On 30/01/2011 19:36, 'Mike' wrote:
In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when
there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but
?

Any comments and advice?

Most varnishes will burn away to nothing just don't stand in the smoke.
The only things I would worry about are not ever burning pvc plastics and
removing any sharps from the ash - mainly nails, screws and brackets.

BTW Coal ash is far too high heavy metal and boron content. Plants don't
mind the heavy metals so much but the boron does them no good at all.

Thanks Martin. Yes there is some plastic, no varnishes to my knowledge. (Bit
I think you read 'vanishes' as varnish ;-)

Just don't burn PVC - you don't want dioxins in the ash.

Metal can and has been removed with some more to remove. Then I think spread
it, in layers, on the compost as it is turned.

The wood ash is mostly potash with other trace elements and is too
soluble to be worth putting on the compost heap. Better to spread it
around under fruit trees, canes and bushes that really benefit from it.
(Apart from those that dislike alkaline conditions)

The stuff with a fair amount of wood charcoal seems to benefit the onion
bed by improving drainage on my clay soil. YMMV

You can always save some for later.

Regards,
Martin Brown