Old 30-01-2011, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bonfire ash

In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but ......
?

Any comments and advice?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 31-01-2011, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/01/2011 19:36, 'Mike' wrote:
In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but ......
?

Any comments and advice?

Most varnishes will burn away to nothing just don't stand in the smoke.
The only things I would worry about are not ever burning pvc plastics
and removing any sharps from the ash - mainly nails, screws and brackets.

BTW Coal ash is far too high heavy metal and boron content. Plants don't
mind the heavy metals so much but the boron does them no good at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 31-01-2011, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 30/01/2011 19:36, 'Mike' wrote:
In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when
there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but
?

Any comments and advice?

Most varnishes will burn away to nothing just don't stand in the smoke.
The only things I would worry about are not ever burning pvc plastics and
removing any sharps from the ash - mainly nails, screws and brackets.

BTW Coal ash is far too high heavy metal and boron content. Plants don't
mind the heavy metals so much but the boron does them no good at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks Martin. Yes there is some plastic, no varnishes to my knowledge. (Bit
I think you read 'vanishes' as varnish ;-)

Metal can and has been removed with some more to remove. Then I think spread
it, in layers, on the compost as it is turned.

Old 31-01-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/01/2011 10:46, 'Mike' wrote:
"Martin wrote in message
On 30/01/2011 19:36, 'Mike' wrote:
In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when
there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but
?

Any comments and advice?

Most varnishes will burn away to nothing just don't stand in the smoke.
The only things I would worry about are not ever burning pvc plastics and
removing any sharps from the ash - mainly nails, screws and brackets.

BTW Coal ash is far too high heavy metal and boron content. Plants don't
mind the heavy metals so much but the boron does them no good at all.

Thanks Martin. Yes there is some plastic, no varnishes to my knowledge. (Bit
I think you read 'vanishes' as varnish ;-)

Just don't burn PVC - you don't want dioxins in the ash.

Metal can and has been removed with some more to remove. Then I think spread
it, in layers, on the compost as it is turned.

The wood ash is mostly potash with other trace elements and is too
soluble to be worth putting on the compost heap. Better to spread it
around under fruit trees, canes and bushes that really benefit from it.
(Apart from those that dislike alkaline conditions)

The stuff with a fair amount of wood charcoal seems to benefit the onion
bed by improving drainage on my clay soil. YMMV

You can always save some for later.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 31-01-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 30, 7:36*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but .......
?

Any comments and advice?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

The main thing to avoid burning are plastics, painted wood and
pressure treated wood.
The old fence posts, trellis etc. contains arsenic and copper.
Old paint often contains lead.
Some plastics burn down to form dioxins, equally deadly.
Once released into the soil they are there for good.
Old 31-01-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 31, 4:16*pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:36*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

In general bonfire ash is beneficial, but what care must be taken when there
are 'unknowns'? Plastic vanishes, but metal survives in a twisted state
which can and has been removed. Mainly wood, paper, plant debris, but .......
?

Any comments and advice?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

The main thing to avoid burning are plastics, painted wood and
pressure treated wood.
The old *fence posts, trellis etc. contains arsenic and copper.
Old paint often contains lead.
Some plastics burn down to form dioxins, equally deadly.
Once released into the soil they are there for good.

How did we ever survive? In my youth we burned everything on the
garden and the ash was dug in. It helped the clay, all ash from the
fires and Aga were also dug in as was the soot when the chimney was
swept (Though it was kept for a few months first).
We also had milk from the farm that was Jersey and at times would be
75% cream,
I think we were(and still are) healthier than most of the youngsters
around
David Hill
Old 31-01-2011, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 31, 4:16 pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:36 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

.................................................. ......................................

David have you seen that posting doing the rounds about, 'If you were born
in the 40's and 50's you are a survivor'?

Old 31-01-2011, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 31, 4:16 pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:36 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

.................................................. .....................................

David have you seen that posting doing the rounds about, 'If you were born
in the 40's and 50's you are a survivor'?

Mike

http://blisstree.com/live/born-befor...a-survivor-35/

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 31-01-2011, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just keep away from the smoke if there are doubtful items; if in real doubt
(for example about wood preservatives) take them to the recycling place.

As a precaution I tend to dilute the ash by recycling it through the
compost heap, to which I tend to add a lot of soil to aid decomposition.
Soil and humus are quite good at binding potassium and phosphate; nitrogen
too (there's none in ash) if it's not nitrate.

Regards

Old 31-01-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Daddy Tadpole" wrote in message
r...
Just keep away from the smoke if there are doubtful items; if in real
doubt (for example about wood preservatives) take them to the recycling
place.

As a precaution I tend to dilute the ash by recycling it through the
compost heap, to which I tend to add a lot of soil to aid decomposition.
Soil and humus are quite good at binding potassium and phosphate; nitrogen
too (there's none in ash) if it's not nitrate.

Regards

No nasty wood as far as I know. The last lot I put on were leaves!! There
was some plastic rubbish, but not a lot. My thoughts on the compost heap as
well.

Thanks for the input

Bonfire Ash RogerT United Kingdom 6 20-03-2010 08:07 AM
Bonfire ash 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 5 05-10-2009 10:16 PM
bonfire ash Debi United Kingdom 6 20-05-2006 07:39 PM
Bonfire ash / compost cineman United Kingdom 0 24-03-2006 12:49 AM
Bonfire ash / compost michael adams United Kingdom 0 23-03-2006 03:55 PM