Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Blue Tits

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...

Darkside wrote:
(I once found a nest with 23 eggs behind the headlamp reflector of a
bus. The lamp itself was missing and they flew in and out of the
hole.)

I had meant to say that I thought that blue tits didn't know how to make a
self-supporting nest the way other birds do, using twigs, mud, cobwebs and
so forth.

Mentioning the headlamp reminds me that I was walking along a dual
carriageway in suburban Bracknell when a blue tit flew across the road but
seemed to disappear half way. I stopped and watched and a pair were entering
a traffic light housing on the central reservation via a cable hole in the
back and presumably feeding young inside. The light only changed for buses
to emerge from a bus lane so was mostly on one colour. Thus the other
bulb(s) must have kept cool. I actually have a photo (somewhere!) of a bird
at the hole.

I have a picture somewhere of a pair of tits that could stop a bus. I agree,
it's a bit early for nesting. 'Mike' is well known on uk.fd, for over-rich
food. I suspect the birds where going to the hedge, to throw up...