Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc[_3_] p.mc[_3_] is offline

Default Now heated polytunnel (advice please)

"kay" wrote in message ...

'p.mc[_3_ Wrote:
;911800']

Few Images below... All made from skip dived pallets,sink top except
electrical parts.

Showed these pics to my resident oligochaetologist, also a pallet
enthusiast, and he wondered how well the thermostat on the propagator
worked in that position. He would have put it in the centre of the side,
and wondered whetehr putting it at the end meant that the centre was
warmer than the thermostat temperature.

--
kay
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Kay

The warming cable is laid flat on a 2 inch bed of level damp sharp sand in a
parallel snake pattern. Then the rod of the thermostat is laid in-between
the the first two runs of the cable, and 2 more inches of sand is then laid
on top and levelled again. I made sure that all cabling and side panels
were equidistant from each other. This means It only needs to radiate
sideways heat 1.5 inches either side of any cable position to register the
correct temp anywhere.

The box is also lined with plastic and perfectly level so the moisture
should be spread evenly with no dry areas and dissipating the heat evenly.

Regards
p.mc