Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
DDD

Default SNAILS!!!!

There are lots fish that eat snails as a control measure. It generally
requires the use of two tanks however. I breed angelfish and but agressive
males in the tank sometimes.

I really don't know what causes an outbreak other than lots of algae.

As far as control, limiting food (algae) reducing calcium (3gH) and lower pH
will inhibit shell formation. I have some large snails that can avoid the
Rasboras but most of the babies get eaten as my control however.

Drew

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Aquarium salt seems a too easy
solution. But why not give it a try? Next time I'm in a fish store I'll

get
some. How much did you dose? How long did it take you to eliminate the

snail
population?

Aquarisol is not aquarium salt. It's an ich medication containing

copper. It
will kill snails and algae, as well as ich. However, copper kills

plants as
well. And it's not a permanent solution, for either algae or snails.

You
have
to correct the underlying problem: the imbalance in your tank.

Poisoning snails with copper can also cause water chemistry problems,

because
all the dead snails will rot in your tank.

Leigh

Thanks for correcting me Leigh. You just saved me an unnecessary trip to

an LFS
;-)
By the way I reduced feeding per your recent recommendation.

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com