Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Care for Pampas grass ?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 12:54:14 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

HI Folks
What's the currently accepted wisdom for care of youngish Pampas grass ?
We have a clump in the lawn in the front of the house, probably 3ft
wide, planted there a couple of years back.
After a wildish winter out here in south-west Ireland, most of the
leaves are now brown and the last flower-spike was knocked over by the
gales last weekend g

What's the best way to tidy it up & encourage it ?

Thanks
Adrian

I simply go at mine around early March, when I see the new growth just
starting, with a strong hedgetrimmer and hack everything off a couple
of feet above the ground. If you don't have a good hedgetrimmer, just
whip around it with a pair of shears and slice all the grass blades
off and then if you can't pull out any bits of remaining flower stem,
a lopper is usually easier than getting in with the shears or
secateurs.

However you do it, make sure that you cover your arms with something
strong and wear stout gloves. The grass blades are *very* sharp!

Cheers
Jake