Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Care for Pampas grass ?

HI Folks
What's the currently accepted wisdom for care of youngish Pampas grass ?
We have a clump in the lawn in the front of the house, probably 3ft
wide, planted there a couple of years back.
After a wildish winter out here in south-west Ireland, most of the
leaves are now brown and the last flower-spike was knocked over by the
gales last weekend g

What's the best way to tidy it up & encourage it ?

Thanks
Adrian
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 12:54:14 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

HI Folks
What's the currently accepted wisdom for care of youngish Pampas grass ?
We have a clump in the lawn in the front of the house, probably 3ft
wide, planted there a couple of years back.
After a wildish winter out here in south-west Ireland, most of the
leaves are now brown and the last flower-spike was knocked over by the
gales last weekend g

What's the best way to tidy it up & encourage it ?

Thanks
Adrian

I simply go at mine around early March, when I see the new growth just
starting, with a strong hedgetrimmer and hack everything off a couple
of feet above the ground. If you don't have a good hedgetrimmer, just
whip around it with a pair of shears and slice all the grass blades
off and then if you can't pull out any bits of remaining flower stem,
a lopper is usually easier than getting in with the shears or
secateurs.

However you do it, make sure that you cover your arms with something
strong and wear stout gloves. The grass blades are *very* sharp!

Cheers
Jake
Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
HI Folks
What's the currently accepted wisdom for care of youngish Pampas grass ?
We have a clump in the lawn in the front of the house, probably 3ft
wide, planted there a couple of years back.
After a wildish winter out here in south-west Ireland, most of the
leaves are now brown and the last flower-spike was knocked over by the
gales last weekend g

What's the best way to tidy it up & encourage it ?

Thanks
Adrian

I just cut out the dead flower spikes, and leave the plant itself to
get on with it. When it gets too big, I hack it back to a hump with
sharp shears, a sharp hedge trimmer or even a sharp sickle, grasping a
bunch of leaves and sawing through them at the base, but be aware that
the 'leaves' have very sharp edges and you should wear good thick
gloves and protective clothing. Some people set fire to them, claiming
that this is what happens naturally in the pampas where they come
from. I'm far from convinced this is true and I suspect it's an urban
myth, and anyway I think burning pampas grass is gimmicky. If you must
burn it, make sure there aren't any hedgehogs etc hibernating in the
base. A handful of general-purpose lawn feed would probably
re-vitalise it.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

The fires are quite true, I have seen them. It happens naturally with
lightening strikes. However most fires are set by ranchers to improve
the grass for their cattle.
They also set them to deliberately destroy forest and creat more
grassland for their cattle.
The fires can cover hundreds, even thousands of square miles, amazing
sight from the air.
Every year people are killed and houses burnt down if/when the fires
get out of hand. The towns are filled with smoke, choking at night
especially.

You can burn you pampas grass with impunity except for hibernating
creatures that might be in there.
Lots of places it's considered a dangerous weed, you would be fined
imprisoned for growing it.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaxkvv75a5Y

Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaxkvv75a5Y

Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3NbTKFLrpA
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice,folks.

Adrian
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 9, 5:21*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
Some people set fire to them,

It's not much help to the OP but thats what I'd do. With a flame-
thrower, napalm, whatever it takes.

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 06:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM