Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseki View Post
Last year, I planted my first-ever asparagus crown. I'm back now and wondered if there was any way to tell whether or not the plant is completely dead. It looks dead, but from reading wikipedia and garden websites, it appears that asparagus naturally dies off and resprouts every year anyway which got me hopeful that it might still have some life left in it.
At this time of year, your asparagus plant should be underground, so you can't tell if it is dead short of digging it up, which is not a good idea.

Since people sell asparagus crowns as dry bare roots, there is good prospect that it will survive not being watered in midwinter.

Asparagus, btw, is very hardy so shouldn't need bringing in in winter unless it is very cold where you are - it can survive a few inches of frozen soil. But in a container it will be more prone to frost than in the ground.