Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered User

Question Have I killed my asparagus? (Absolute beginner question)

Hi there,

Last year, I planted my first-ever asparagus crown. I planted it in a huge pot and it lived part of the time in a glass-walled back porch and part of the time in the garden.

It did very well. As advised, I let it grow all year and didn't cut any of the shoots (even though it was oh-so-tempting). When it started to get cold, I brought it back into the enclosed porch. (I was so amazed at what it did after the spear stage - it was like a big amazing asparagus frond explosion!)

Anyway, over the winter, I ended up having to do a lot of travelling and wasn't around to water it. The plant dried out completely. (The person watering my plants didn't know there was an asparagus on the back porch.)

I'm back now and wondered if there was any way to tell whether or not the plant is completely dead. It looks dead, but from reading wikipedia and garden websites, it appears that asparagus naturally dies off and resprouts every year anyway which got me hopeful that it might still have some life left in it.

Is there any way to tell whether I've killed it or if it's just lying dormant, waiting for spring? If anyone has any advice on what I might be able to do to make it happy again, I'd much appreciate it!

Apolgoies, I am a /very/ new to gardening and don't even know what I don't know at this stage! : )
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseki View Post
Last year, I planted my first-ever asparagus crown. I'm back now and wondered if there was any way to tell whether or not the plant is completely dead. It looks dead, but from reading wikipedia and garden websites, it appears that asparagus naturally dies off and resprouts every year anyway which got me hopeful that it might still have some life left in it.
At this time of year, your asparagus plant should be underground, so you can't tell if it is dead short of digging it up, which is not a good idea.

Since people sell asparagus crowns as dry bare roots, there is good prospect that it will survive not being watered in midwinter.

Asparagus, btw, is very hardy so shouldn't need bringing in in winter unless it is very cold where you are - it can survive a few inches of frozen soil. But in a container it will be more prone to frost than in the ground.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
At this time of year, your asparagus plant should be underground, so you can't tell if it is dead short of digging it up, which is not a good idea.

Since people sell asparagus crowns as dry bare roots, there is good prospect that it will survive not being watered in midwinter.

Asparagus, btw, is very hardy so shouldn't need bringing in in winter unless it is very cold where you are - it can survive a few inches of frozen soil. But in a container it will be more prone to frost than in the ground.
Many, many thanks! I'll leave it in the container and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice about the weather as well. Last year was my first year trying to grow things and so I think I got a bit over cautious about a number of things. If this little guy is still alive, I'll probably look at planting him outside at some point.

Again, many thanks! : )
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Have I killed my asparagus? (Absolute beginner question)

Fuseki wrote:
[...]

That is correct. It may be OK

Is there any way to tell whether I've killed it or if it's just lying
dormant, waiting for spring? If anyone has any advice on what I might
be able to do to make it happy again, I'd much appreciate it!

Put it in the ground with a couple of dozen mates in soil enriched with
horse manure in full sun. It will grow better and you wont have to water
the pot.

David

Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The one thing you never told us is where you are. You planted 1 crown? How
do you buy 1 crown? I've done two plantings of asparagus. One, 20 years
ago, and one this past summer. Each planting consisted of at least 7-9
crowns. That's how the come packaged here. (I'm in Texas) Asparagus crowns
are planted reasonably deep. Usually 5 to 7 inches deep in soil. They are
cold hardy, so in all likelihood they will survive the winter. They will
start coming up in early spring. The older ones I have start coming up in
mid March. I feed them only organic fertilizer and lots of compost. Some
are as big around as my thumb. I stop cutting them when they are as big
around as pencils. Then I let them grow and make the tall fronds. Letting
them grow gives energy to the roots for next year. When it freezes, they
will die back to soil level. That's when you cut them off and mulch them
with compost if possible. It feeds them, and helps insulate them from the
cold. They are quite hardy. Don't coddle them. Plant into the earth.
More than one. They are heavy feeders, so fertilize them on a regular
basis. They need consistent watering, but don't like wet feet.
Well drained soil is best. Don't be afraid....go for it.
Regarding yours....
Depending on how long it was dry, it may be ok...
if it's in a pot, pull it out and look at it. If it's still supple, it will
probably be ok. Soak it in water for at least an hour, then plant it in the
soil. They like full sun if possible.
When they start coming up in the spring they're amazing.
People don't believe it, but, in the spring, mine grow 3 inches a day. Not
a joke.

--
Fuseki

Absolute Beginner: Growing Own veg DarrenH Edible Gardening 10 03-10-2007 05:49 PM
What are the absolute best gardening tools? Chris United Kingdom 6 22-07-2006 12:14 AM
Absolute beginer Peter C Bonsai 4 01-09-2004 10:10 AM
[IBC] Absolute beginer Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 31-08-2004 01:40 AM
Absolute rank never-done-nothing beginner. Help! Rev. J. Toad Gardening 8 25-03-2003 05:56 PM