Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Fuseki Fuseki is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
At this time of year, your asparagus plant should be underground, so you can't tell if it is dead short of digging it up, which is not a good idea.

Since people sell asparagus crowns as dry bare roots, there is good prospect that it will survive not being watered in midwinter.

Asparagus, btw, is very hardy so shouldn't need bringing in in winter unless it is very cold where you are - it can survive a few inches of frozen soil. But in a container it will be more prone to frost than in the ground.
Many, many thanks! I'll leave it in the container and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice about the weather as well. Last year was my first year trying to grow things and so I think I got a bit over cautious about a number of things. If this little guy is still alive, I'll probably look at planting him outside at some point.

Again, many thanks! : )