Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Have I killed my asparagus? (Absolute beginner question)

Fuseki wrote:
Hi there,

Last year, I planted my first-ever asparagus crown. I planted it in a
huge pot and it lived part of the time in a glass-walled back porch
and part of the time in the garden.

It did very well. As advised, I let it grow all year and didn't cut
any of the shoots (even though it was oh-so-tempting). When it
started to get cold, I brought it back into the enclosed porch. (I
was so amazed at what it did after the spear stage - it was like a
big amazing asparagus frond explosion!)

Anyway, over the winter, I ended up having to do a lot of travelling
and wasn't around to water it. The plant dried out completely. (The
person watering my plants didn't know there was an asparagus on the
back porch.)

I'm back now and wondered if there was any way to tell whether or not
the plant is completely dead. It looks dead, but from reading
wikipedia and garden websites, it appears that asparagus naturally
dies off and resprouts every year anyway which got me hopeful that it
might still have some life left in it.

That is correct. It may be OK

Is there any way to tell whether I've killed it or if it's just lying
dormant, waiting for spring? If anyone has any advice on what I might
be able to do to make it happy again, I'd much appreciate it!

Put it in the ground with a couple of dozen mates in soil enriched with
horse manure in full sun. It will grow better and you wont have to water
the pot.

David