Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Hypertufa ingredients - What is peat moss?!

"Jamie T"

I'd like to have a go at making some Hypertufa pots. I've done a bit of
research online on what i need, and the only thing that has stumped me
is "Peat moss".

In my attempt to do a bit more research i've discovered that Sphagnum
moss is sometimes called Peat moss. Also Wikipedia states "A
distinction is made between sphagnum moss, the live moss growing on top
of a peat bog on one hand, and sphagnum peat moss (North American usage)
or sphagnum peat (British usage) on the other, the latter being the
decaying matter underneath"

Now i'm really confused! A couple of videos that i've seen show people
using what looks to me to be plain peat. But i was under the impression
that the use of peat generally in gardening is frowned apon, so can't
imagine being able to walk into my local garden centre and pick up a big
bag of it!

Any ideas?

You don't need to stress about it because you could use sawdust or cocunut
fibre and still get the same result.