Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Default Hypertufa ingredients - What is peat moss?!

Hiya folks.

I'd like to have a go at making some Hypertufa pots. I've done a bit of research online on what i need, and the only thing that has stumped me is "Peat moss".

In my attempt to do a bit more research i've discovered that Sphagnum moss is sometimes called Peat moss. Also Wikipedia states "A distinction is made between sphagnum moss, the live moss growing on top of a peat bog on one hand, and sphagnum peat moss (North American usage) or sphagnum peat (British usage) on the other, the latter being the decaying matter underneath"

Now i'm really confused! A couple of videos that i've seen show people using what looks to me to be plain peat. But i was under the impression that the use of peat generally in gardening is frowned apon, so can't imagine being able to walk into my local garden centre and pick up a big bag of it!

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Jamie
Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Jamie T

Don't get too wrapped around the titles, it is just for a light weight
filler material that the cement can hold on to.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:52:03 +0000, Jamie T
wrote:

[...]

I call sphagnum and peat moss the same thing. Always
have....interchangeable terms...

Some plants like it. Depending on the plant.

Disclaimer: Not an expert, just a habit of calling them the same.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sphagnum-moss.htm

"People often have a difficult time deciphering between sphagnum moss
and sphagnum peat moss. Sphagnum moss is actually quite different than
peat moss and is harvested separately. It is used primarily in among
florists to make items such as baskets, wreaths, and some floral
arrangements. It is the portion of the moss that is alive and can be
found on top of the bog. Alternatively, sphagnum peat moss is used to
condition soil, especially for orchids. It is the dead and is found in
the lower portions of the bog."

Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jamie T"

[...]

You don't need to stress about it because you could use sawdust or cocunut
fibre and still get the same result.