Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Default DIY CO2 tube creating reverse siphon ???

Thanks for the tip. My jugs are below the waterline. I'll make sure to
change them every month to be safe.

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message
u...
1) Make sure the checkvalve is the right way around. 2). If the jugs are
below the waterline, after a few months the checkvalve will probably lose
integrity and disintegrate as a result of the CO2 and this will be very

very
bad.

"SlimFlem" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

75 Gallon

I made a CO2 reactor tonight baesed on some stuff I saw on The Krib.
Basically I used a gravel vac and drilled a hole on the top and inserted

the
CO2 airline through. The CO2 airline is secured inside the gravel tube

with
a suction cup to hold it in the middle.

The airline tube is about 3/4 of the way down in the water with this new
setup. What I notice happening was a reverse siphon was being created
through the CO2 tube. I'm not quite sure why. I have a Magnum 350

hooked
into this that blows its outlet through and disolves any CO2 bubbles.

Do you think the force of the water flowing through the gravel tube is
pushing water into the CO2 airline and starting the siphon? I do have a
check-valve, so it's not causing any problems. Also, maybe because the
airline tube is deeper in the tank and there is no power head to creat a
sucking action on the line could be a reason this is happening???

Do you think the CO2 pressure will build up enough and stop the

siphoning
action and push the CO2 into the tank instead? I have 3L glass bottles,
*not* plastic. I wouldn't think there would be any chance of the
exploding???

Any ideas about how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse