Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Default DIY CO2 tube creating reverse siphon ???

I am using screw on tops. I'll check into getting some plastic stoppers
instead. I'll also try and find the threads about pressure relief.

thanks.

"Colin" wrote in message
.. .

"Empty" wrote in message
"SlimFlem" wrote in
newslBS9.596786$WL3.177555@rwcrnsc54:

Yeah. A number of people on this group and other web sites
recommended glass. It's heavier, has more of a base, and won't tip
over. If you are running the CO2 line into a powerhead, then the
suction will not deflate the glass like a plastic bottle.

Personally, I always used the thick plastic jugs Ocean Spray Cranberry
juice comes in... The are very solid and have a strong base.

However, I do see your point. How would you recommend to add
something into the line so if the pressure reaches a certain point, a
pressure release valve will open...or something like that....without
buying a compressed tank, etc.

I would not know about the pressure thing... Maybedrill a hole in it and
cover the hole with a piece of tape? I just know I would be nervous with

potentially fata (to the fish *and* me) timebomb lying around.

As long as you've not got a screw-on lid, then surely any pressure build

up
will just pop the cork?

I use a standard 5L glass demijohn with a pre-drilled rubber bung. The
airline is siliconed into the bung. I'm certain that if anything does ever
clog, either the bung or airline will let go before the glass.

The best idea I've heard for a pressure relief device though is to fit a
T-connector in your airline, close to the bottle, with a piece of balloon
over the end. You'll soon see a blockage 'cos the balloon expands, and it
would pop if the pressure got too high. I'm sure there was a discussion on
this or one of the other aquaria groups just a few weeks ago.

Colin