Old 25-02-2011, 12:15 AM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tring14 View Post
Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v cold winter. It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this some form of fungi?
I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..
Hi Tring, you say this fern was in an outhouse ? how dark was it ? and you say you also wrapped it up ? what with ? Another thing that puzzles me is that you say the leaves are still unfurled, thats quite odd, were they unfurled when you wrapped it up because the main flush of leaves appear in the spring and while you get the odd new leaf through the summer by the time you bought it, most of that seasons leaves should be up and matured ? Is it possible that what your seeing are new leaves ?? Its a bit early but to have brown unfuled leaves now is very unusual ??
Lannerman