Old 24-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Dicksonia tree fern - help pls

Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v cold winter. It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this some form of fungi?
I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..
Old 24-02-2011, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dicksonia tree fern - help pls

Tring14 wrote:
Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after
reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v
cold winter.

Did it get any light there? I am guessing not enough.

It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and
unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not
unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this
some form of fungi?

If the croziers are brown and unfurled it looks like something has gone
wrong during their development. It could be insufficient light or water, or
both.

I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have
watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable
place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very
concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..

Yes they have roots. Where are you? What is your climate?

David

Old 25-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tring14 View Post
Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v cold winter. It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this some form of fungi?
I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..
Hi Tring, you say this fern was in an outhouse ? how dark was it ? and you say you also wrapped it up ? what with ? Another thing that puzzles me is that you say the leaves are still unfurled, thats quite odd, were they unfurled when you wrapped it up because the main flush of leaves appear in the spring and while you get the odd new leaf through the summer by the time you bought it, most of that seasons leaves should be up and matured ? Is it possible that what your seeing are new leaves ?? Its a bit early but to have brown unfuled leaves now is very unusual ??
Lannerman
Old 27-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Tring, you say this fern was in an outhouse ? how dark was it ? and you say you also wrapped it up ? what with ? Another thing that puzzles me is that you say the leaves are still unfurled, thats quite odd, were they unfurled when you wrapped it up because the main flush of leaves appear in the spring and while you get the odd new leaf through the summer by the time you bought it, most of that seasons leaves should be up and matured ? Is it possible that what your seeing are new leaves ?? Its a bit early but to have brown unfuled leaves now is very unusual ??
Lannerman
I've probably confused things by saying unfurled, the leaves were tied loosely up and now untied they've flopped but are still twisted. It was wrapped in netting material for this purpose, there was a fair amount of light, but lack of water looks like the real issue. Certainly getting enough now with all the rain past few weeks but could be too late...
Old 27-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tring14 View Post
I've probably confused things by saying unfurled, the leaves were tied loosely up and now untied they've flopped but are still twisted. It was wrapped in netting material for this purpose, there was a fair amount of light, but lack of water looks like the real issue. Certainly getting enough now with all the rain past few weeks but could be too late...
Hi Tring, Yes, could be suffering from lack of water but luckily because they have been fairly dormant through the winter, my gut feeling is that you might just be lucky !! So, dont panic, just give plenty of water, especially around the crown and you should get some new leaves in the spring You didnt say how tall the trunk was ? but if it is dead, heres a little tip you might like to use. Quite a few tree ferns have been killed recently, even down here in Cornwall and what weve done which seems to be quite successful is this.
Buy a very small Dicksonia, make a 'basket' of fine chicken wire, lined with moss, place the 'basket on top of the old dead trunk and plant the new small plant in the basket. Keep well watered and quite quickly the roots will secure it to the trunk and give it a couple of seasons to establish and 'hey presto' a new tree fern (with a trunk).I know its a cheat but better than throwing the dead trunk out ?? they aint cheap !!
best wishes, lannerman

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered User

[...]
They are certainly not cheap! Many Thanks for advice
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tring14 View Post
Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v cold winter. It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this some form of fungi?
I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..
Lesson 1. Never buy a tree fern in the autumn/winter. Get an expert to overwinter it before it is established.
Lesson 2. Assuming yours is still alive, and there must be some doubt about that, here's the definitive advice on how to look after Dicksonia fibrosa, which is a slightly trickier fern to keep alive in Britain than D antartica, but easier than anything called Cyathea.
Home - The Fern House

[IMG] code is On

Dicksonia Fern Amy Roberts Gardening 2 27-07-2012 01:32 AM
Propagating Dicksonia Antartica query ?? gary smith United Kingdom 4 17-08-2004 02:19 PM
Tree fern (Dicksonia antarctica) - overwintering? Bob Carlile Gardening 2 21-11-2003 08:24 AM
Dicksonia Antarctica Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 30-09-2003 06:12 PM
dicksonia squarrosa Tony United Kingdom 6 27-09-2003 09:24 AM