Old 24-02-2011, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dicksonia tree fern - help pls

Tring14 wrote:
Hi,
I purchased a healthy Dicksonia Fibrosa in the autumn and after
reading threads fortunately put in an outhouse and wrapped for the v
cold winter.

Did it get any light there? I am guessing not enough.

It is still in tub and I lifted it outside last week and
unwrapped to find all 10 fronds are browning and have still not
unfurled. I've also noticed some white powder on the leaves - is this
some form of fungi?

If the croziers are brown and unfurled it looks like something has gone
wrong during their development. It could be insufficient light or water, or
both.

I only sprayed the fern a couple of times during winter, should i have
watered more? Do i remove the fronds and should I plant in suitable
place to prosper (I've read they do indeed have roots)? I'm very
concerned I've terminally damaged a great tree fern..

Yes they have roots. Where are you? What is your climate?

David