Old 28-02-2011, 02:23 AM
saph.sty24 saph.sty24 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelkovafortress View Post
Hi,

I've just brought a Zelkova bonsai from a local hame base and I have no idea what to do now! I've wanted a bonsai for a long time, and I've brought a general book about them, but it doesn't name my sepcies of bonsai speacifically. I know I've made a small risk by buying a bonsai from a shop, but I wanted to start somewhere. Is anyone able to give me any pointers or information about them?

The greatest of thanks in advance.
it more then likely a chinese elm
my chinese elm was wrongly sold as a zelkova yes they like being out doors just wait till the late frosts are over so put it outside around the end of march. for the time being put it on a window sill that gets sun all day as they love the warmth
they like they roots damp but not wet so free draining soil is a must
and you must also fine spray them in the evening (never in sunlight as this will burn them)as this helps keep them fresh and clean (daily pollution ect)
never stand your plant in water always water your tree from the top of the soil and let it drain, you will also have to feed it once a month in the growing season, and use water at room temp never straight out of the tap
cold water shocks the root system

hope this helps a little

saph