Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Bugbear

Default cloudy planted tank

Well, after going through everything on the aquarium, found the cloudy
water to be a bacterial bloom. After reviewing everything I've done
to the aquarium over the past couple of weeks and thoroughly
discussing this my significant other, she brought to my attention of
the floss I placed in the filter a couple days before Christmas.
Anyway, it looks as if I put so much floss in the filter that it
reduced the flow rate significantly enough to kill off half the
bacteria in the filter, thus, as you guessed, a bacteria bloom.
Anyway, I've pulled out majority of the new floss and will have to
wait for the recycling process to finish before the water becomes
clear again.

What's come up now is that I would like to put in a type of biological
media that would help greatly. Right now, all I have are sponges and
a bit of floss in the canister filter. I'm considering ceramic rings,
bio-stars, or bio-glass. Anyway, I am unable to find much information
on the bio-glass. Here is a link to the product I'm thinking of
adding. Any comments or suggestions.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4173

thanks

"J. Toonen" wrote in message ...
Hi,

as one of the other posting sais, I think it's bacteria'bloom'; cloudiness
in this case should look a bit 'silvery'. It should disappear/decrease
within about 24-48hrs. Best thing to do is to let it rest, but keep an eye
on O2/CO2!
If this is not the case, better check your whole chemical scenario and post
it again.

Jos.

"Bugbear" schreef in bericht
m...
Need some feedback on possible causes and solutions to my 75g tank.
The tank is already established. Before this the tank had really
clear water. Filter is clean as well or as clean as I guess a
canister filter can get.