Old 28-02-2011, 10:45 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was home to a few woodlice. (They were soon flicked out with a twig.) Should I take any further action to disinfect the wound or simply leave it?
Just leave it. Splits occur on pear tree trunks, and they sort themselves out.

If not cared for for some time, the tree will probably benefit from some winter pruning. Google will find you pruning advice, so I won't waste my time writing it up.