Old 27-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered User

Default Pear tree maintenance advice needed

Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was home to a few woodlice. (They were soon flicked out with a twig.) Should I take any further action to disinfect the wound or simply leave it? Also, in order for it to achieve a good crop of fruit this year, does anyone know of a suitable fertilizer I can apply to the surrounding soil? All useful advice on pear tree maintenance gratefully received.
Old 28-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was home to a few woodlice. (They were soon flicked out with a twig.) Should I take any further action to disinfect the wound or simply leave it?
Just leave it. Splits occur on pear tree trunks, and they sort themselves out.

If not cared for for some time, the tree will probably benefit from some winter pruning. Google will find you pruning advice, so I won't waste my time writing it up.
Old 28-02-2011, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We moved into this house 40 years ago , a small Bartlett pear tree was
growing in the yard, built a deck around the center of the tree and have
done absolutely nothing except
occasional pruning. There were 2 years we did not have pears due to
weather..amazing trees these pears are...

--
Mishy