Old 28-02-2011, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jimmy[_3_] jimmy[_3_] is offline

Default Pear tree maintenance advice needed

We moved into this house 40 years ago , a small Bartlett pear tree was
growing in the yard, built a deck around the center of the tree and have
done absolutely nothing except
occasional pruning. There were 2 years we did not have pears due to
weather..amazing trees these pears are...
"Mishy" wrote in message

Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my
pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I
was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was home to a few
woodlice. (They were soon flicked out with a twig.) Should I take any
further action to disinfect the wound or simply leave it? Also, in order
for it to achieve a good crop of fruit this year, does anyone know of a
suitable fertilizer I can apply to the surrounding soil? All useful
advice on pear tree maintenance gratefully received.

--
Mishy